Our Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church & School
Adult Faith Formation Opportunities
Adult Enrichment SPRING Calendar 2013
(Calendario de Oportunidades de Enriquecimiento en la fe para adultos)
Our Mother of Sorrows Parish
“Go you are sent forth to seek and embrace”
Brothers & Sisters in Christ,
This adult spring calendar offers a rich and diverse spread of opportunities for adult faith enrichment during the winter/spring of 2013.
Two very significant enrichment opportunities are being offered by the parish in this winter/spring parish enrichment series. OMOS is hosting an all-day conference on Saturday, January 26 from 8:30am to 3:30pm entitled “Rediscovering the Second Vatican Council.” This once-in-a-lifetime event at our parish sponsored by the Diocese is only $10 per person and includes lunch. The conference includes two keynote presentations and two options from fourteen break-out workshops.
The parish is also sponsoring an 8-week faith sharing group opportunity based on the book “The Catholic Vision for Leading Like Jesus” with its emphasis on loving service and servant leadership. Fuller details on these unique, enrichment opportunities will be shared in upcoming bulletins.
In our Catholic tradition, we believe that God reveals his presence to us through the Scriptures, the Word, and the Sacraments. During this Year of Faith, rediscover the joy of believing by attending some of the sessions offered. Please save this calendar and use the registration form on the back page to sign up for any of the offerings. For more information, you can contact Mary Chajewski, our Adult Faith Formation Coordinator, in the Parish office at 747-1321, or email her at email@example.com. May we all continue to be enriched in our faith as we grow in our relationship to God in our everyday life. –Msgr. Tom Cahalane
7 Alienated Catholics series starts - #1
8 Adult Profession of Faith classes start - #3
9 Evening of Prayer & Reflection - #17
13 Diocesan Vatican II sign-up
16 Lectio Divina w/Msgr. Tom - #9
20 Faith Sharing Groups sign-up
23 6-week “I Believe” series starts - #12
26 Diocese of Tucson Conference - #18
29 Adult Confirmation classes start - #4 & #5
30 4-week Catholicism DVD’s start - #11
5 6-week Holy Spirit Bible Study starts - #26
5 Visitor Reflection/Mass/Lunch - #16
7 6-week Lenten Faith Basics series starts - #10
7 Rosary making Workshop - #22
10 Care for Creation Film “Sun Come Up” - #19
15 Mary Magdalene DVD - #8
20&27 Certification Opportunities - #24
23 Lenten Retreat for all Parishioners - #14
23&24 Blood Pressure Checks - #30
……………….Calendario en Español, pagina 4
3 Red Cross Blood Drive - #31
6&13 Certification Opportunities - #24
18-20 Parish Mission - #15
2 Bible Reflection for Women starts - #27
4 Rosary Making Workshop - #22
7 Alienated Catholics series starts - #1
16&17 EME Formation - #21
21 Earth Day – Film “The Lorax” - #20
BECOMING CATHOLIC & COMING HOME - (Nacer en la Fe Católica)
1. A.C.A. - Alienated Catholics Anonymous: This six-week series for Catholics who wish to return to and renew their Catholic faith is facilitated by Msgr. Tom Cahalane. Series offered Monday evenings, 7-9pm, after Christmas beginning January 7, and again after Easter beginning April 8. (PAC/Meeting Rm 1)
2. R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults): Weekly sessions begin September 10, 2013. This faith formation process is for non-baptized adults; the sessions are primarily Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm through May 2014. The cost is $40 for materials. (PAC/Dining Room) Call parish office for more information.
3. Profession of Faith: Tuesday evenings, 7-9pm: Beginning January 8, this 12-week series is for persons who have been baptized as Christians, who are churched, and wish to be oriented to the Sacraments and practices of the Catholic Church toward full reception into the Church on the Easter Vigil 2013, March 30. The cost is $40. Series also offered in the Fall of 2013. (PAC)
4. Adult Confirmation: Tuesday evenings, 7-9pm: Beginning January 29, this 9-week series is for Catholic adults who lack Confirmation and concludes with celebration of the Sacrament at the Easter Vigil 2013, March 30. The cost is $35. Series also offered in the Fall of 2013. (PAC)
5. Confirmación para adultos: Las clases de confirmación tendrán una duración de ocho semanas. Las reueniones son los jueves en el PAC. Las clases darán inicio en el 29 de enero. Favor de ver el boletín para registrarse. (PAC)
6. Baptism Preparation Sessions for Parents/Godparents: 1st and 3rd Thursdays each month. Parents desiring to baptize a child should contact the parish office to schedule an appointment with a priest or deacon.
7. Marriage Preparation: Couples desiring to marry in the Catholic Church should contact the parish a minimum of 6 months prior to the desired wedding date to make an appointment with a priest. Further details about marriage requirements, including Engaged Encounter and Parish Couple-to-Couple Program, will be provided by the priest during your appointment.
FAITH ENRICHMENT OPPORTUNITIES
8. Share the Journey of Jesus through Mary Magdalene Eyes, Friday, February 15 at 7pm. This DVD shows how a journey begins when someone says, “Come With Me.” When she walked with Jesus long ago, Mary Magdalene stepped into a journey that can take us today into a future that you may never have dreamed for yourself. One of the unexpected joys of the Magdalena journey is the realization that we don’t have to get our lives “straightened out” before coming to Jesus. He accepts us just the way we are. In His tender compassion for the outcast women of His day, Jesus made that perfectly clear for all time for all people. (Plan on attending Soup & Sacrifice before the DVD) PAC Auditorium
9. “Lectio Divina” Praying with the Scriptures: 1/16 at 7pm. On Wednesday evenings, 2/20, 3/20… Msgr. Tom will facilitate a “how to pray with the Scriptures” process for beginners at 7pm in the Cenacle Chapel. God’s Word is a deep source of prayer and is alive, active, and effective in transforming our lives when we engage in its prayerful reading and meditation leading us to prayer and contemplation. These evening sessions for beginners will help participants discover and enjoy the simple, yet powerful beauty of “Lectio Divina”… divine reading of Sacred Scripture. Approximately 90 minutes. No fee, RSVP appreciated, Cenacle Chapel.
10. “Lenten Faith Basic Series”: 6-week series, 7pm-8pm, on Thursdays, February 7 – March 14. The “Faith Basics” program is rooted in Scripture and the Catechism, and will explore a different topic of the Catholic faith each session. These evenings of learning and reflection will provide both new and life long Catholics with a deeper understanding and appreciation of our rich Catholic faith. For this series the topics include: 1) Feb.7: The Inborn Hunger for God, 2) Feb. 14: What is Prayer? 3) Feb. 21: Ways to Pray and Obstacles to Prayer, 4) Feb. 28: What is Sin? 5) Mar. 7: Confession: Reconciliation with God, 6) Mar. 14: The Passion of Christ. Sessions will be facilitated by Leandra Hubka. No fee. RSVP appreciated. PAC
11. Catholicism DVD’s – 4 weeks, 9:30am - 11am, and repeated 7pm - 8:30pm on Wednesdays, Help prepare yourself this Lenten Season with this showing of the DVDs in a 4-week series, the dates are January 30, February 6, 20, 27 Catholicism seeks to bring the Faith into participants’ heads and hearts, thereby strengthening their conviction and empowering them to live their Faith. Catholicism equips Catholics to radiate the truth of the Faith by providing a multidimensional experience: watching and listening to each DVD; reading a rich commentary; and answering questions for understanding and for application individually. The series is as follows: 1) World Without End: The Last Things 2) The Fire of God’s Love: Prayer and the Life of the Spirit 3) A Vast Company of Witnesses: The Communion of Saints, 4) Word Made Flesh, True Bread of Heaven: The Church’s Sacrament and Worship. The DVDs are presented by Rev. Robert Barron, from Word of Fire. No fee. PAC Auditorium
12. “I Believe” the Basics of our Catholic Faith found in the Nicene Creed: Six Week Series, Wednesdays, January 23, 30, February 6, 20, 27, March 6, from 7-8:30pm. Join us for this 6-week series and delve into the second part of the Creed: 1) Ascended into Heaven, 2) Judge and King, 3) The Holy Spirit, 4) One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic, 5) One Baptism, 6) The Life of the World to Come. The goal of “I Believe” is to help Catholics deepen their faith by exploring the core tenets of Catholic teachings. The best summary of that teaching is found in the Nicene Creed. It was crafted in ancient Christianity and is proclaimed at Sunday Mass. In this series, we’ll be taking a walk through the creed, looking at its elements and unpacking it. The series will be facilitated by Deacon Chuck. No fee. RSVP appreciated. PAC Auditorium
13. A Walk Thru the Mass - “The Dry Mass” w/Msgr. Tom Cahalane: Monday, January 28, 7-8:30pm: Reacquaint yourself with the parts and significance of the Holy Mass, which is “the source and summit of the Christian life.” Church
RETREATS & REFLECTION OPPORTUNITIES
14. Lenten Retreat - Answering the Lenten Call… Turning Away from Sin and Being Faithful to the Gospel: Saturday, February 23, 8:30am-2:30pm. Every year we are blessed to have the season of Lent, a time of penance and prayer in which the Church invites us to detach ourselves from the craziness of the world and to draw closer to Christ. It is up to us to take advantage of this time of spiritual renewal so we can more joyfully celebrate the most important feast of the whole year … Easter. This retreat will inspire and challenge you to make the most of this Lenten season, and also provide ample time for silence and reflection. We will begin with 8:30am Mass in church. The retreat will be a perfect way to deepen your Lent. Led by Leandra Hubka. PAC
15. Parish Lenten Mission: March 18-20. Don’t miss your opportunity to be renewed this Lenten season! Join the rest of our parish family in our annual parish mission, and be spiritually ready for the great celebration of Easter. Watch upcoming parish bulletins for fuller details.
16. Winter Visitors Mass & Luncheon: Tuesday, February 5, 9:30am-1:30pm. Welcome back, winter visitors! Please join us for this special annual gathering. We’ll begin at 9:30am for a time of reflection facilitated by Helen DeVries. Mass begins at 11am, followed by a luncheon in your honor. RSVP by January 30 with the parish office. PAC Retreat Rm & Dining Rm
17. National Migration Week: Wednesday, January 9, Evening of Prayer and Reflection (6:30pm Peace & Justice Mass, followed by Reflection.) The Reflection will be on the Tenth Anniversary of the Pastoral Letter of Migration of the Catholic Bishops of Mexico and the United States. Migration Week reminds us of our responsibility as Catholics to help newcomers integrate in ways that are respectful, culturally sensitive and responsive to social needs, and of the ongoing need for comprehensive and compassionate immigration reform.
18. Diocesan Conference Day on the Year of Faith: Saturday, January 26, 8:30am-3:30pm. Rediscover the Second Vatican Council. We will be looking at some of the gifts and blessings this Council has given to the Church. Dr. Massimo Faggilio from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota will talk about the ways in which the work of the council 50 years ago has given us new ways to bring the message of the Church to the world. Other speakers will give insights on the Liturgy, Church, Scripture, Ecumenism, the Missionary Activity of the Church, and the Apostolate of the Laity and the Family. The Conference is open to all, and will be right here at Our Mother of Sorrows. Lunch is included in the $10 registration fee.
19. Care for Creation Sunday Afternoon Films in the PAC Auditorium on February 10 and March 10 at 2pm. 1) “Sun Come Up” on February 10 – The Film shows the human face of climate change, following the touching stories of inhabitants of a small Pacific Island Nation who must relocate from their ancestral land when it is threatened by rising sea levels. 2) “Home” on March 10 – Experience the wonderment of our world in breathtaking aerial views which tell the story of our planet from its origins to the present. An inspiring call to become better stewards of our beautiful and fragile Earth.
20. Earth Day – Sunday April 21. The Care for Creation Initiative Committee (CFCI) will have displays and hands on activities for the entire family in the placita after the Saturday 5:30pm Mass and all Sunday morning Masses. The family movie “The Lorax” will be shown in the PAC Auditorium at 10:30am and at 12noon.
21. Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist Formation: The next formation class for Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist will be held Tuesday and Wednesday, April 16 & 17, at 7pm in the church. Please contact Lyn Bulski at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-3612.
22. Rosary Making Workshop: Thursdays, February 7 and April 4 at 1pm. Are you looking for something you can do at your own leisure? Our rosary makers are in need of more volunteers to help make rosaries. If you are experience in making rosaries, you can come and share your skills with the novices and enjoy fellowship and prayer. Rosaries are used by our adult and children formation groups. We also send rosaries to Joan Martin in Haiti. This is such a rewarding ministry and so full of blessings. At the workshop we show you how easy it is to make rosaries. You can then take pre-made packets with you to pray and make rosaries in the comfort of your home. For information contact Mary at the parish office. (PAC/Dining Room)
23. Prayer Shawl Ministry: Every other Sunday each month, 2pm-3:30pm (beginning January 20): Do you enjoy knitting and/or crocheting? If so, you are invited to join this big-hearted group who is committed to making shawls, lap blankets, and related items for those in need at Our Mother of Sorrows Parish. Some of those who benefit from these hand-made items made with love in a spirit of compassion and prayer are the elderly and homebound and young mothers with children. Consult the bulletin to confirm the next meeting date, or contact facilitator Linda Wilson at email@example.com.
24. Level 1 Certification Opportunities on Wednesdays during Lent at 7pm. Echoes of Faith Christology & Ecclesiology, February 20 (Kino Rm); Echoes of Faith: The Creed 1 & 2, February 27 (Kino Rm); Sr. Jane Eschweiler from Jordan Ministry will present Cultural Diversity 7 Faith Expression, March 6 (PAC Auditorium); In the Footsteps of Jesus will be shown and discussed to fulfill the Social Mission of the Church requirement on March 13 (PAC Auditorium); The facilitator for these classes will be Laura Stehle except as noted for March 6. Pre Registration is encouraged but not required, especially before March 6.
BIBLE STUDY & FAITH SHARING OPPORTUNITIES
25. Servant Leader Faith-Sharing Groups: Our parish is planning this eight-week faith sharing process during the upcoming Lenten season. The process, focused on the book Leading Like Jesus, will be designed around faith sharing groups (6-10 participants). These groups will meet in parishioner’s homes or at the parish at times that will be most convenient to the participants. The focus of each of the eight faith sharing sessions will be around assigned chapters from the book Leading Like Jesus. Through this process, the parish is making a very intentional investment in holding up this model of servant leadership. The Leading Like Jesus movement defines leadership as “anytime anyone ever tries to influence anyone else,” so “learning to lead like Jesus affects all our relationships – at home, at work, in our parish, and in our civic communities.” Leading Like Jesus engages one’s heart, hands and habits in the leadership process. Dr. Owen Phelps, the author of the book Leading Like Jesus, says, “It has to begin in the heart, but it can’t end there. Being an effective leader requires more than just good intentions, and this process focuses on providing the knowledge, skills and habits needed to be an effective leader in every setting and relationship.” The faith sharing process will help participants to do that more intentionally. More information will be forthcoming in the Sunday Bulletins and in the Pastor’s Update. Fee $10.
26. The Holy Spirit and Spiritual Gifts Bible Study: Six Week Series, Tuesdays, February 5 – March 12, 7-8:30pm. “God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us” (Rom 5:5). God is revealed to us through created things and inspired words. Reading the Bible without the Holy Spirit is like opening a book in the dark. The same Spirit who inspired the authors of the Scriptures guides us as we read and reflect upon the biblical passages. Come join us as we read and study the scriptures in an atmosphere of trusting faith and see the scriptures come alive with freshness and personal significance. This series will be facilitated by the M.O.M.S. group. Cost is $15 for the book. PAC Room #1 (Child care available with prior notice.)
27. Gospel of Luke Ignatius Bible Study/Reflection for Women: Wednesdays, starting April 2. This study is designed to lead the reader through Scripture according to the Church’s guidelines – faithful to the canon, to the tradition, and to the creeds. Luke’s Gospel is beautifully written and logically arranged. Women in particular are showcased throughout this Gospel, despite their otherwise low social standing in antiquity. Come join us as we delve into a Chapter each week. Cost is $8 for the book. PAC Retreat Rm.
28. “U-Knighted in Christ” Young Adult Bible Study: Fridays, 7-9pm: Ages 18-35, this peer-led bible study is designed for maximum fellowship and faith-sharing, prayer and letting the power of Jesus come center-stage into our lives. Facilitated by members of Our Mother of Sorrows young adult community, this group gives young adults a place to share their faith and be enlightened by God’s Word in Sacred Scripture. Bring a friend! PAC
PASTORAL CARE & HEALTH OFFERINGS
29. “Bereavement Series” – Dates to be announced in parish bulletin for this eight week series. To register, call Sally at Casa De La Luz Bereavement Department – (520)-351-5461. There is no charge for participants and is not necessary to have used Casa De La Luz for their loved one who had died. The community is welcome. PAC
30. Blood Pressure checks, February 23rd & 24th, after each Mass. These Free Blood Pressure Clinics are offered four times a year. For more information, see announcements in parish bulletin.
31. American Red Cross Blood Drive, March 3, from 8:00am-1:00pm in the Parish Hall. Sign-ups for appointments are after every Mass February 23rd & 24th. For more information see announcements in parish bulletin.
SERIE DE CRECIMIENTOS EN LA FE EN ESPAÑOL (ENERO-MAYO)
Esta serie de crecimientos nos ayudaran a seguir aumentando nuestro conocimiento y relación con Jesucristo, así como también nos ayudaran a descubrir y a poner en practica los dones y habilidades que cada uno poseemos para el servicio a los demás en nuestra casa, trabajo y comunidad parroquial.
32. Enero 9, 7pm, PAC - Celebraciones Litúrgicas y Culturales como Inspiración de fe.
33. Enero 16, 7pm, PAC - Participando en la liturgia: El ministro de hospitalidad (ungieres)
34. Enero 23,7pm, PAC - Participando en la liturgia: El ministro extraordinario de la Eucaristía
35. Enero 30,7pm, PAC - Participando en la liturgia: El ministro de la Palabra
36. Febrero 6, 7pm, PAC - Los retos de ser un líder servidor
37. Febrero 13, 7pm, PAC - El llamado a ser líder servidor: El liderazgo de Jesús
38. Febrero, 20, 7pm, PAC - Iniciando con el corazón
39. Febrero, 27, 7pm, PAC - Desarrollando la mente del servidor
40. Marzo 6, 7pm, PAC - El servidor extendiendo sus manos (caridad)
41. Marzo 13, 7pm, PAC - Cultivando los hábitos de un servidor
42. Marzo 20, 7pm, PAC - El llamado a ser un buen administrador
43. Abril 3, 7pm, PAC - La Resurrección del Señor: Sirviendo como el Pastor
44. Abril 10, 7pm, PAC - Nuestra fe y la colaboración en el servicio al prójimo
45. Abril 17, 7pm, PAC - Retos en la colaboración
46. Abril 24, 7pm, PAC - Espiritualidad y dones en la colaboración para el servicio al prójimo
47. Mayo 1, 7pm, PAC - Nuestro trabajo y la Fe: San José el trabajador
32, 33, 34, y 35. Estas sesiones nos ayudaran a entender la espiritualidad de un ministro de la liturgia y la manera de llevar acabo este ministerio de acuerdo a los lineamientos de misal romano y de nuestra parroquia. Las sesiones están diseñadas para aquellos que les gustaría participar en alguno de estos ministerios, así como para aquellos que ya participan.
36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, y 42. Esta serie de 7 clases esta basada en el libro de “Ligereando como Jesús” del Dr. Owen Phelps. Casa Uno de nosotros somos llamados a ser servidores y lideres, estas sesiones nos ayudaran a descubrir a Jesús como el ejemplo por excelencia de un líder servidor y así hacer la diferencia en la vida de los que nos rodean en casa, el trabajo y nuestra comunidad parroquial.
43, 44, 45, 46, y 47. En este año de la fe, el Papa Benedicto XVL nos ha invitado a redescubrir las enseñanzas del Concilio Vaticano II, una de ellas es la colaboración en el ministerio. Esta serie nos ayudara a identificar nuestros dones, a unirlos y aponerlos a trabajar en colaboración con los demás para un mejor servicio al prójimo.
Preparación en Español para la recepción de Sacramentos para adultos: Bautismo, Primera Comunión, Confirmación y Matrimonio, estarán disponibles durante el invierno, favor de llamar a la parroquia para mayores informes.
Preparación para la celebración de quinceañeras esta disponible en nuestra parroquia, favor de llamar a la oficina para mayores informes.
Our Mother of Sorrows Parish
1800 S. Kolb Road, Tucson, Arizona 85710 ? Phone (520) 747-1321 • Fax (520) 790-3308
Website: www.omosparish.org ? General Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult Enrichment Offerings RSVP - (Please complete and return to parish office)
I would like to sign up for offering number(s): (please list)
Fee(s) (if applicable): $
(If mailing: Our Mother of Sorrows, Adult Faith Formation Calendar, 1800 S. Kolb Rd., Tucson, AZ 85710)
Our Mother of Sorrows Parish & Catholic School