Our Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church & School
Adult Faith Formation Opportunities
Adult Enrichment Calendar For Fall 2014
(Calendario de Oportunidades de Enriquecimiento en la fe para adultos)
Our Mother of Sorrows Parish
“Go you are sent forth to seek and embrace”
Brothers & Sisters in Christ,
This adult enrichment calendar offers a rich and diverse spread of opportunities for you to grow in your faith and as a family during the fall of 2014. Pope Francis invites all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting Him encounter them. This invitation is for all since “no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord.” These fall offerings have many opportunities to enrich your faith by drawing from scripture, the Catechism, and spiritual opportunities. Please save this calendar and use the registration form on the back page to sign up for any of the offerings. For more information, you can contact Mary Chajewski, our Adult Faith Formation Coordinator, in the Parish office at 747-1321, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. -Msgr. Tom Cahalane
18 “Goodness” a Morning of Reflection/
19 Ignatian Silent Retreat
20 Leading Like Jesus Workshop
22 Praying with the Scriptures “Lectio Divina”
23 Adult Confirmation Classes start
2 Rosary Making Workshop
4 Planting Class
7 How to Pray the Rosary
11 Diocesan Rosary Celebration
14 Bereavement Series starts
18 Parish Rosary Rally after 5:30pm Mass
25 Bible Study on Eucharist starts
27 Praying with the Scriptures “Lectio Divina”
8 TEP Energy Workshop
10 Praying with the Scriptures “Lectio Divina”
1 Praying with the Scriptures “Lectio Divina”
4 Rosary Making Workshop
BECOMING CATHOLIC AND COMING HOME (Nacer en la Fe Católica)
1. A.C.A. - Alienated Catholics Anonymous: This six-week series for Catholics who wish to return to and renew their Catholic faith is facilitated by Msgr. Tom Cahalane. Series offered the first six (6) Mondays following Christmas and Easter. The after Christmas series will start Monday, January 5, 2015. (Parish Activity Center)
2. R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults), Tuesday evenings, 7pm-9pm: Beginning Tuesday, September 9 this faith formation process is for non-baptized and un-churched adults to prepare for receiving the sacraments of Initiation – Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation. The sessions are primarily Tuesday evenings from 7-9pm. Sessions continue through May 5, 2015 with the Sacraments being received at Easter Vigil, April 4, 2015. The cost is $40 for materials. (Parish Activity Center)
3. Profession of Faith, Tuesday evenings, 7pm-9pm: Beginning September 9, this 12-week series is for persons who are baptized, practicing Christians and wish to be oriented to the sacraments and practices of the Catholic Church and receive the sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation. The cost is $40. Series also offered starting January 13, 2015. (Parish Activity Center)
4. Adult Confirmation, Tuesday evenings, 7pm-9pm: Beginning September 23, this 9-week series is for Catholic adults who lack Confirmation. Confirmation will be on November 22. The cost is $40. Series also offered starting February 3, 2015. (Parish Activity Center)
5. Baptism Preparation for Parents/Godparents: Offered the 1st and 3rd Thursdays each month in English and 2nd Thursday of each month in Spanish. Parents desiring to baptize a child should contact the Parish office to schedule an appointment with a priest or deacon before the class.
6. Marriage Preparation: Couples desiring to marry in the Catholic Church should contact the Parish a minimum of 6 months prior to the desired wedding date to make an appointment with a priest. Further details about marriage requirements, including the Engaged Encounter and Parish Couple-to-Couple Program, will be provided by the priest during your appointment.
FAITH ENRICHMENT OPPORTUNITIES
7. “Lectio Divina” Praying with the Scriptures: Mondays, September 22, October27, November 10, December 1, at 7pm. On these Monday evenings, Msgr. Tom will facilitate a “how to pray with the Scriptures” process for beginners at 7pm in the Cenacle Chapel. God’s Word is a deep source of prayer and is alive, active, and effective in transforming our lives when we engage in its prayerful reading and meditation leading us to prayer and contemplation. When we set aside quality time to do this with an open and seeking heart, God speaks to us through the power of His Word. These evening sessions for beginners will help participants discover and enjoy the simple, yet powerful beauty of “Lectio Divina”…divine reading of Sacred Scripture. Approximately 90 minutes. No fee, RSVP appreciated, Cenacle Chapel.
8. The Rosary - Its History - How to Pray the Rosary and its Mysteries: Tuesday, October 7, 7-8:30pm. Msgr. Tom will present an hour and a half long session on the history of the rosary within our Catholic practice, and cover the details of how to pray the rosary and how to use the rosary beads in praying the rosary. Some parishioners will share a brief personal witness on their prayer experience in praying the rosary regularly. Rosaries will be made available for participants in the session. The second part of the session will be given over to praying the rosary itself. Parishioners who may have a need on how to pray the rosary and a desire to learn are especially encouraged to participate in this session. The rosary is prayed each day in church after the 8:30am Mass on Monday – Saturday.
9. Parish October Rosary Celebration – Saturday, October 18, after 5:30pm Mass. Please bring your rosary and come join us for this beautiful prayer celebration within the church immediately following the 5:30pm Saturday evening Mass on October 18th. We will be praying the rosary together and will conclude with Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. All Parish Rosary groups are especially encouraged to participate in this parish event. If you don’t have a rosary, one will be provided to you by our Parish Rosary Making Group.
10. Diocesan Rosary Celebration – Saturday, October 11, 10am. You are invited to participate in the Diocesan Event “Arizona Rosary Celebration” on Saturday, October 11th from 10am to 12:15pm at Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish. More information is available at www.azrosary.com
11. Sponsors for RCIA/POF Participants: Meeting on Monday, September 22, at 6:30pm. You are asked to prayerfully consider being a sponsor for one of the catechumens or candidates that are in the RCIA or Profession of Faith processes. We have a group of eager people who want to explore our Catholic faith, and need someone who is eager to walk this journey with them. As a sponsor you would attend the Tuesday classes with them, as often as you can, and serve as a companion or a guide as you walk and pray with them throughout the formation program. You are not expected to know all the answers about our faith, but rather to delight in exploring the answers together. You will see and experience how contagious the joy is and how lively the faith is of these participants. No prior experience needed – just a love of God and of your Catholic Faith. Please call Mary Chajewski at the parish office for more information. A meeting for all sponsors will be on Monday, September 22, at 6:30pm in the PAC.
SPECIAL TOPICS & EVENTS
12. Planting Class – October 4. In celebration of the Feast of St. Francis, Saturday, October 4th, the Care for Creation Initiative will be hosting Civano Nursery from 9:00 – 11:00am. Come and learn some tips on planting and remember the wonder and awe of all creation is a gift from God. Watch the bulletin for additional information.
13. Residential Energy Saving Workshop, Saturday, November 8, 9-11am, in the PAC Dining Room. This free workshop hosted by the Care for Creation Initiative is limited to the first 30 people that R.S.V.P. There will be easy, low cost tips on ways to immediately conserve energy in your home and stay comfortable while reducing monthly energy bills.
14. “Rosary Making Workshop” – Thursdays, October 2 & December 4 at 1 pm: Are you looking for a ministry that you can do at your own leisure? Being a rosary maker is such a rewarding ministry, and so full of blessings. We will be having these workshop to show you how easy it is to make rosaries, and for those faithful, experienced rosary makers to come together in ministry as companions to the new members, and for all of us to laugh, pray, and enjoy. You can then take pre-made packets with you to pray and make rosaries in the comfort of your home. For information contact the office. PAC.
15. Prayer Shawl Ministry: Meets on the 1st and 3rd Sunday each month, 2pm-3:30pm: Do you enjoy knitting and/or crocheting? Would you like to learn how to knit or crochet? If so, you are invited to join this big-hearted group who is committed to making shawls, lap blankets and related items for those in need, especially the elderly and homebound, young mothers and those who could benefit from these hand-made items made with love in a spirit of compassion and prayer. They are very willing to be teachers and share their gift/talents with you. Contact Parish office or consult bulletin to confirm next meeting date.
RETREATS & REFLECTION OPPORTUNITIES
16. “Goodness” a Morning of Reflection/Inspiration – Thursday, September 18, 8:30 Mass – 11:30am. The evidence of God’s goodness is as compelling as ever. You might wonder, what does God’s goodness look like in my life? How does it make me feel? How can I respond so that it is reflected in the way I live? We will reflect on sacred Scriptures that show God’s infinite goodness revealed to us. We’ll also refer to the book of Ruth and her virtue of piety, and her goodness and spirit of self sacrifice. “Wherever you go I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, Your people shall be my people, and Your God, my God.” (Ruth 1:16). Facilitated by Mary Chajewski. No Fee, but RSVP with the Parish Office. PAC Retreat Room
17. An Ignatian Silent Retreat… Redemptorist Renewal Center at Picture Rocks – September 19-21. Retreat Director, Fr. Richard J. Hauser, SJ is Professor of Theology and Director of the Masters of Arts in Christian Spirituality at Creighton University. The title of the retreat is “Growing in the Spiritual Life: Discernment and the Relationship with Christ.” Inspired by the Biblical revelation of the Holy Spirit and the Rules for Discernment given to us by St. Ignatius of Loyal, this retreat will lead us to deeper understanding of this way of life in which we are invited to union with God. Fr. Hauser will offer us practices and perspectives by which to recognize the presence of the Holy Spirit right in the middle of ordinary life and cultivate our readiness to respond to the Spirit’s promptings. For more information, please contact Ann Dickson at email@example.com or 520-378-2486.
GOD’S WORD: BIBLE STUDY, PRAYER & FAITH SHARING
18. Scripture Study on the Eucharist, October 25 – November 29, 2014. On Saturday mornings, OMOS will have a six week series relating to Scripture study on the Eucharist. Fr. Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D., noted Bible scholar and teacher will be the guest speaker on opening day, Saturday, October 25, 9:15am-12pm. All other sessions will be facilitated by Margaret Lordon, who received her MA in Biblical Studies from Chicago Theological Union, 9:15am-11am. Deepen your faith in the Real Presence through the texts of the Old and New Testaments. Explore the Biblical springs of the Eucharist, the source and summit of Christian faith and the center of the Church’s life. Discover how the Eucharist unites the prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of our lives with Jesus Christ’s perfect sacrifice. Registration REQUIRED. Cost is $20 (book and handouts.) PAC Dining Room. This program is being offered in conjunction with the Catholic Bible Institute of Southern Arizona – includes Parishes and Missions of the Diocese of Tucson, currently in the planning stages, set to commence August 2015.
19. Leading Like Jesus Seminar – September 20. The parish continues to make a very intentional investment into the Jesus model and example of servant leadership. A day-long seminar entitled “Leading Like Jesus” will be presented in the parish on September 20, beginning with the 8:30am Mass. The To Lead & Form Committee of our parish Stewardship & Development Council are sponsoring the day. Parishioners, who may have a desire to be considered for participation in this seminar day, are encouraged to do so by contacting Corinne Gay: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the parish office.
20. Adult Faith Sharing Group: Thursdays, 6:30pm-7:30pm. Adults in their 20’s, 30’s & 40’s -- this peer-led faith sharing group is designed for maximum fellowship and faith-sharing, prayer, and letting the power of Jesus come center stage into our lives. The group is facilitated by Doug Skarstem, a member of Our Mother of Sorrows. This group gives you a place to share your faith and to be enlightened by God’s Word in Sacred Scripture. Meet weekly throughout the year. PAC.
PASTORAL CARE AND HEALTH OFFERINGS
21. “Bereavement Series”- Eight week series. Start Date October 14. Times. To find out the dates of the next series and to register please call Sally at Casa De La Luz Bereavement Department at: (520)-351-5461 or 544-9890. There is no charge for participants and it is not necessary to have used Casa De La Luz for their loved one who has died. The community is welcome. PAC Retreat Room.
Our Mother of Sorrows Parish & Catholic School